Due to multiple demonstrations and reports of gun shots in the Central Business District, the U.S. Embassy encourages American Citizens to avoid the Central Business District (in general the area bounded by Samora Machel Avenue on the north, Fourth Street on the east, Rotten Row on the west, and Lytton Road/ Chinhoyi Street on the south).
As the political situation in Zimbabwe remains uncertain, you should remain safely at home or in your accommodations as much as possible. If you must go out, use caution, stick to routes familiar to you, and travel during daylight hours. Be prepared for traffic checkpoints.
U.S. citizens should:
· Remain indoors in a safe location;
· Avoid demonstrations and all public gatherings;
· Have extra food, water and medication on hand;
· Establish a communication plan with your friends and family so they know when to expect to hear from you;
· Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings and local events, and monitor local news stations for updates;
· Be vigilant and take steps to enhance your personal security; and
· Remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
For further information:
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).