Location: Protests planned countrywide. Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to the following in Harare:
- U.S. Embassy
- Harare Central Business District (CBD)
- Robert Mugabe Square
- National Sports Stadium
Event: A potentially large march sponsored by the Government of Zimbabwe is expected to take place on Friday, October 25, 2019 in observance of Anti-Sanctions Day in Zimbabwe. The march is expected to start at 6 a.m. from Robert Mugabe Square to the National Sports Stadium and may continue for a 24-hour period. Marches are also planned in the provincial capitals of Bulawayo, Gweru, Mutare, Marondera, Masvingo, Bindura, and Gwanda. The cities of Kwekwe and Kadoma are also expected to hold events.
There has been an ongoing “anti-sanctions protest” across the street from the U.S. Embassy since March 29, 2019 that had fewer than a dozen participants. A flyer distributed via social media called for an overnight youth rally/vigil at Embassy Harare that is expected to begin on Thursday, October 24, at 19:00. Protesters may also be stationed outside the Embassy all day on October 25.
The Zimbabwe Republic Police’s anti-riot unit will be deployed along the route to the National Sports Stadium from Robert Mugabe Square.
Anti-Sanctions Day is an effort to push for the removal of sanctions related to Zimbabwe by the United States of America, European Union, and Canada. U.S. Citizens are therefore strongly advised to be cautious and avoid the CBD in Harare and all areas along the route of the march, as well as other locations throughout Zimbabwe where protests are scheduled.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations, the CBD, and route of the march.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates
- Keep a low profile.
- United States Embassy Harare, Zimbabwe
2 Lorraine Drive
Emergency +263 -772 559-727
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Zimbabwe Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter