Education Services – FAQ

The United States Embassy/Public Affairs Section does not offer scholarships. When you write directly to a university or college for admission application materials, also request information on financial assistance. At some institutions your academic ability is considered together along with your financial need. At others your application for admission and your financial need are considered separately.

Judging from past experience the student with ‘O’ level subjects with a majority of ‘A’s, high ‘A’ level passes and respectable SAT/ACT test results  has the best chance of being offered a scholarship. In addition to the academics, Admission officers value students who can demonstrate extracurricular leadership and involvement in sports activities, clubs, hobbies, and community projects. It will be up to the student to convince the admissions personnel of the institutions to which he/she is applying he /she will be a real asset to that institution as well as to society in the future.

For the student with exceptional ability in a particular sport, usually marked by participation on a national team, a sports scholarship could be an excellent way of financing his/her education. Write to coaches at a large number of institutions and correspond with them directly. The student should be aware that acceptance by the coach or even the offer of a scholarship does not guarantee admission into the university/college. The regular admissions procedure must still be followed. The student should also be aware that he/she would still be expected to carry a minimum course load and maintain a certain academic average in addition to participating in the demanding sports program.

Once you have identified schools for possible funding, do further research with books and the Internet. When looking at universities, do not just apply to those, which are private. While private schools offer more financial aid, 2-Year community or junior colleges from which you can transfer to a 4-Year college, and state universities can also be good choices, as they are less expensive and can sometimes offer partial aid to international students.

You can use your Nostro or Visa card to pay for fees online after checking with your bank for activation.  Alternatively, find a relative or friend overseas who is willing to write checks in foreign currency to pay these application and test fees. Students in Zimbabwe taking the SAT/ACT can register online. For SAT register on and for ACT register on

There are several types of expenses, which you will incur. A rough estimate is given below:

  • Tuition and fees (This could range from US$ 3000 to 50 000.)
  • Books and supplies – US$ 1 500 – 2 500
  • Student room and board (meals) – US$ 5 000 to 20 000
  • Personal (clothing, laundry, recreation, medical) – US$ 2 000-4 000
  • Medical Insurance US$500-3000.

There are over 4500 accredited colleges and universities in the United States.
U.S. Public Affairs Section does not have a list of the best universities in the United States. Often the quality of individual departments and/or colleges within a university varies. There are several lists of the “best” universities based on the criteria such as funds for research, personal opinion or the considered opinion of professionals in a given field. Often the most famous universities are also the most expensive and the most difficult to enter. You should decide which university is the best for you, i.e. one that offers your field of study meets the other criteria important to you, such as location, housing, size and facilities for international students.

You should only apply to accredited universities listed in our college reference section in the P.A.S. library. These universities/colleges are accredited by various national and regional accrediting groups that have been evaluated by the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation in the U.S. and recognized as meeting acceptable levels of quality and performance. These colleges are also listed in Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education, a publication of the American Council of Education.

Consult employers and Zimbabweans who have studied overseas about the quality of schools. Seek advice from lecturers at the University of Zimbabwe or various professional organizations, ie., Institute of Architects of Zimbabwe, the Hotel and Restaurant Association of Zimbabwe, etc. Speak to some established professionals already working in your area of interest. Also look at how selective the school is by noting their acceptance rate, average test scores, etc. The Educational Advisor is also willing to assist USEAC members to access the quality of various institutions.

You must have a minimum of five ‘O’ level passes of “C” or above including Math and English if you wish to apply for an undergraduate degree. Your acceptance will probably be based upon these and other academic results along with the results of U.S. college entrance examinations, which can be taken in Zimbabwe. Those who have ‘A’ level credits may be given advanced standing, however, this will be determined by the particular institution and the appropriate department.

TOEFL……Test of English as a foreign language. This test may be required if English is not your native mother tongue even if English is the medium of instruction in your school. Registration fee is US$ 110 – Computer-based offered weekly in Harare

SAT……..Scholastic Aptitude Test/SAT II Subject Tests. The SAT measures your verbal and mathematical aptitude. The subject tests measure your abilities in particular subject areas. Taken at Prince Edward School in Harare or Dominican Convent in Bulawayo, offered 6 times a year. SAT without Essay $90 fee is USS .00 and SAT Subject tests (3 subjects) US$ .

ACT……..American College Test. ACT measures verbal, mathematical and science abilities. This test is taken at Harare International School offered 5 times a year.

GRE……..Graduate Record Examination measures verbal, quantitative and analytical abilities of graduate school applicants. Registration fee is US$ 130.00 – Computer-based, offered weekly in Harare.

GMAT…….Graduate Management Admission Test measures the general verbal and mathematical skills of graduate applicants to schools of business or management. Registration fee is US$ 200.00 – Computer-based, offered weekly in Harare.

All registration forms can be obtained from the U.S. Public Affairs Section or at the Bulawayo Public Library. You can also write for test bulletins to:

Educational Testing Service
CN 6200
Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6200

Before applying for a visa, you must first gain admission to an institution. The school will send you the Form I-20 that will list the comprehensive amount necessary for one year’s expenses at the institution issuing the I-20. The consular officer at the U.S. Embassy will require that you demonstrate that you or your sponsor has this amount before you are issued a student visa. In some cases the university will require prepayment of the amount listed as the total for one term or one year’s expenses before the Form I-20 can be sent. You must prove to the Consular Officer that you are academically qualified, financially prepared and intending to return to Zimbabwe upon graduation.

If your sponsor is in the U.S., he/she will need to send a completed Affidavit of Support Form I-34, available from the district office of the Immigration and Naturalization Service in the U.S. or from our office in Harare. Allow several months for these arrangements. Consult the consular office for additional requirements for U.S. and local sponsors. Your sponsor will also have to prove availability of funds through a recent bank statement and sometimes also a bank statement or letter from his/her employer.

It differs from university to university. Look in the International Student Handbook or one of the college directories under “Application Deadline” to find each university’s deadline. Many highly selective colleges and universities have a January 1 deadline. It is crucial that you meet all these deadlines.

At the U.S. Public Affairs Section Library in Harare and the Bulawayo Public Library in Bulawayo there are several manuals which list college/universities. If you are not familiar with the geography of the U.S. use a map to guide you in choosing states and/or institutions. You may also find extensive college or university information on the Internet. We suggest you try