An official website of the United States government

Emergency Financial Assistance
March 28, 2020

The availability of cash from ATMs in Zimbabwe is not guaranteed. Americans in Zimbabwe who find themselves in need of emergency financial assistance  should contact the American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy in Harare at (+263)-867-701-100 or the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at (+1) 202-501-4444.

American Citizens can come to the Embassy to request financial assistance in emergencies.  The Consular Officers can help destitute Americans contact their family, bank, or employer to arrange for transfer of funds. WesternUnion, WorldRemit, and Mukuru are money transfer services that are used for family to wire money to Zimbabwe. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by these transfer services. In certain circumstances, funds can be wired through the Department of State. The Embassy can also give a loan for destitute American Citizens to return to the United States.

Emergency Funds Transfer to the Embassy

In a genuine emergency, a U.S. citizen can have funds transferred from the U.S. through the Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS), Department of State, Washington, DC. Please contact OCS at 888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444) for information on how to send money. When the Embassy/Consulate receives notification from the State Department, funds are released in dollars to the U.S. citizen recipient.

This service is for emergencies only, when time does not allow transfer of funds through normal banking channels. Funds should not exceed the amount needed to resolve the emergency situation and should not be used for commercial transactions. Large sums (over $1,000) should be avoided.