The U.S. Embassy in Harare advises U.S. citizens of the potential for civil disturbances to occur as the June 26 deadline approaches for street vendors to move their business operations elsewhere. U.S. citizens resident in, or traveling to, Zimbabwe, should be aware of the potential for civil disturbances in Harare in general, and specifically in the Central Business District on Wednesday June 24 during afternoon hours. There may be additional disturbances possible on the days following June 24. Avoid the business area downtown, and use alternate means to the airport.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Zimbabwe.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Harare, located at 172 Herbert Chitepo Avenue, and is open Monday through Thursday 8:30am-5:00pm, and Friday 8:30am-12:30pm.
- You may also call +263 4 250 593 during normal business hours, +263 772 559 727 during after-hours, or send a WhatsApp text on +263 772 124 896.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.