Location: Harare Commercial Business District
Event: The Embassy has confirmed a potentially large MDC-Alliance demonstration and march scheduled from 10:00 to 14:30 tomorrow morning (Thursday, November 29th) starting at Africa Unity Square. The route is anticipated to proceed as follows:
- Begin at Africa Unity Square
- Proceed west along Jason Moyo Avenue
- Turn right on to Leopold Takawira Street
- Turn right on to Samora Machel Avenue
- Turn on Julius Nyerere Way
- Left on to Nelson Mandela Road to return to Africa Unity Square.
This MDC-Alliance demonstration is sanctioned by the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP). The ZRP (anti-riot police equipped with water cannon vehicles) will be deployed at the venues and along the route. In the past, the ZRP has used aggressive tactics to suppress protestors (including deploying tear gas). ZANU-PF has also reportedly arranged a counter-protest at an undisclosed location(s). Disturbances by protestors, use of lethal force by security forces against demonstrators, and violence between political party militants have taken place in the past year.
At this time, the Embassy cannot confirm an estimated number of participants; however, a large turnout is expected. The Embassy recommends avoiding or limiting movement thru this area throughout the day.
Actions to Take:
- Stay away from the demonstration route and the Commercial Business District
- Avoid demonstrations and all public gatherings
- Exercise increased caution
- Monitor local news stations for updates
- Be vigilant and take steps to enhance your personal security; and
- Remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
- United States Embassy Harare, Zimbabwe
172 Herbert Chitepo Avenue
Tel: (263) (4) 250-593
Emergency (263) (4) 250-343
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Zimbabwe Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter