Event: Due to civil unrest, violence, and heightened political tension following the general elections held on July 30, 2018, the U.S. Embassy advises American citizens to exercise increased caution. Although American Citizens and foreigners have not been specifically targeted in acts of violence, the security situation remains volatile. We have received credible reports of numerous detentions, beatings, and other abuses of Zimbabweans over the past week, particularly targeting opposition activists. On August 7, the U.S. Embassy Harare along with counterparts from the European Union (EU) delegation, Canada, and Switzerland issued a joint statement to the Government of Zimbabwe condemning post-election acts of violence that were sanctioned by the government.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations and all public gatherings;
- Have extra food, water and medication on hand;
- Establish a communication plan with your friends and family so they know when to expect to hear from you;
- Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings and local events, and monitor local news stations for updates;
- Be vigilant and take steps to enhance your personal security; and
- Remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
For more information, read the Safety and Security section on the Country Information page.
If you decide to travel to Zimbabwe:
- Stay alert and avoid openly displaying cash.
- Carry a copy of your passport and visa and leave originals in your hotel safe.
- Stay away from political rallies, demonstrations, and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Zimbabwe.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- United States Embassy Harare, Zimbabwe
172 Herbert Chitepo Avenue
Tel: (263) (4) 250-593
Emergency (263) (4) 250-343
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Zimbabwe Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter