An official website of the United States government

U.S. Citizen Services

Apply Online for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

How to Apply

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at the American Embassy in Harare!  This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

  • To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVgRyLQd3jA&t=4s) to learn more about creating your account.
  • Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist https://common.usembassy.gov/en/crba/
  • Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at U.S. Embassy, Harare. Please schedule your appointment at least 72 hours after payment submission. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your CRBA interview. Please Note: Do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy.
  • Attend you scheduled in-person interview with your originaldocuments and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Details

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.

  1. Was the child born in ZIMBABWE?
  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  5. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).

Do you wish to apply electronically for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (eCRBA)? Read below: 


We are here to help!

 Other Important Information

Note:  If you prefer to submit a paper-based application, please follow post procedures here: https://common.usembassy.gov/en/crba/

Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details here: https://zw.usembassy.gov/services/#wizard


To reduce introduction and spread of new variants of SARS-CoV-2, CDC issued an Order effective January 26, 2021. It requires all air passengers arriving to the US from a foreign country to get tested for COVID-19 infection no more than 1 days before their flight departs and to provide proof of the negative result or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding the flight. For more information on this testing requirement, see the CDC’s Frequently Asked Questions.

As conditions related to COVID-19 have allowed, The U.S. Embassy in Zimbabwe is able to offer a few appointments for routine American Citizen services on Tuesdays and Thursdays. To schedule an appointment for a passport service for U.S. Citizens, please use this online reservation system

To reserve an appointment for notarial services, please follow this link.

(Note, the appointment systems linked above are only for people seeking to renew an American passport or needing other services for American citizens, or for those needing notarials. Anyone who makes a reservation in these systems in order to enter the embassy for a visa interview will be refused entrance. Instead, visa applicants should follow the instructions for making an appointment on our Visas web page.)

If you are unable to find an appointment and your situation is an emergency, including emergency passport services, or for other inquiries, including Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, please email consularharare@state.gov or call the U.S. Embassy at 0867 701 1000.

Full validity passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad are being processed but please continue to expect longer processing times. If you have previously applied for a passport or citizenship service, you should expect significant delays and can check on the status of this service by emailing consularharare@state.gov.


The U.S. Embassy in Zimbabwe is offering emergency appointments only for passport and citizenship services that require an in-person appearance. Please be aware that emergency appointment availability is extremely limited.