Citizenship Services

U.S. citizenship may be acquired either at birth or through naturalization subsequent to birth.  Persons born outside of the U.S. may acquire U.S. citizenship under certain circumstances.

What Service Do You Require?

Application for a Consular Report of Birth must be made, in person, through a pre-arranged appointment.  Interviews for A Consular Report of Birth are done on Wednesday afternoons by appointment only. Parents encouraged to submit their Consular Report of Birth application and supporting documents two days before their interview date for review. The child must accompany the parent to the Embassy. The Embassy/Consulate is closed on American and Zimbabwean holidays.

We strongly encourage both parents to be present when filing an application for a child’s CRBA and first time passport.

Required Documents

Parents typically choose to apply for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time they apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The list below covers both the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and the U.S. passport.

Please bring the following original items to the interview:

  • Proof of the parents’ identity and citizenship such as U.S. or other passports.
  • Child’s original birth certificate issued by the local authorities (including English translation, if applicable). The birth certificate must include the name of the child.
  • One studio quality photograph of the child, 2″ x 2″ in size and taken against a light background. The child must be facing forward with his/her ears showing and eyes open.
  • Prenatal and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.).
  • If the child was born through surrogacy: a detailed medical certificate from the surrogacy clinic or ART physician which reflects this fact.
  • The parents’ marriage certificate, or other proof of their relationship prior to the child’s conception. (This is not required if the mother of the child is a U.S. citizen.).
  • Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S. (This is not required if BOTH parents are U.S. citizens.) For children born to one U.S. citizen and one foreign national, the U.S. citizen parent will need to show five years of CUMULATIVE physical presence in the U.S., two of which must be after the age of 14. Examples of items that show physical presence are school transcripts, income tax returns with Form W-2, Social Security earnings history, pay receipts, passport entry/exit stamps in current and previous passports, etc.
  • If also applying for a passport (see below) and only one parent is present in Zimbabwe, the other parent must complete Parental Consent Form DS-3053(PDF 52KB). This form must be notarized and submitted with a notarized copy of the absent parent’s photo ID (their passport is preferred).
  • Complete and print the following forms online before coming to your appointment but Please Do Not Sign The Forms Until Directed To Do So By A Consular OfficerDS-2029, Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (PDF 62KB).
  • To schedule an appointment to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad please Click here.

After applying for the Consular Report of birth abroad, you will also need to apply for a social security number and a U.S passport. The Embassy no longer accepts applications for Social Security numbers. The Social security application is filed directly with the Social Security Administration offices. Refer to the Social Security website for more information.

Form SS-5-FS Application for a Social Security Card (PDF 132KB)

Form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport

Insufficient Evidence of Relationship

If the Consular Officer finds that there is insufficient evidence of a genetic relationship between the parent(s) and the child(ren), a DNA test may be recommended at the time of interview.  If the interviewing officer makes this recommendation, then parents can expect a processing delay of approximately two weeks to allow for the receipt of the DNA test kit at the Embassy, sample collection, the mailing of the sample, and the receipt of results from the lab.  Parents should factor this possible delay into their plans.  If a DNA test is recommended, you will be provided with all details related to this testing at the time of your interview.  All costs and expenses associated with DNA testing must be borne entirely by the passport applicant and his/her family.

For more information on DNA testing, see “Information for Parents on U.S. Citizenship and DNA Testing”

For questions about eligibility for becoming a U.S. citizen, please contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) at 1-800-375-5283 or visit

A U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization INA 301 (8 U.S.C. 1401), INA 310 (8 U.S.C. 1421) or a U.S. noncitizen national INA 308 (8 U.S.C. 1408), INA 101(29) (8 U.S.C. 1101(29)) will lose U.S. nationality (“expatriate”) her or himself by committing a statutory act of expatriation as defined in INA 349 (8 U.S.C. 1481), or predecessor statute, but only if the act is performed (1) voluntarily and (2) with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship.  The U.S. Supreme Court has spoken (Afroyim v. Rusk, 387 U.S. 253 (1967) and Vance v. Terrazas, 444 U.S. 252 (1980)):  a person cannot lose U.S. nationality unless he or she voluntarily relinquishes that status.


Dual citizenship is permitted by the Zimbabwean constitution for citizens by birth in Zimbabwe.