Adult passport holders may renew their 10-year U.S. passports in person. We reserve the right to request an interview with respect to any passport application.
To renew your passport:
1. Complete and print the passport application online here.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in Zimbabwe, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by courier to an address in Zimbabwe.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the “expedite fee” option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Do not use two-sided printing
- Submit all required documents with the printed application form:
- One studio-quality color photograph taken within the last six months measuring 2″ x 2″ (5cm x 5cm) with a white background. No other photo format will be accepted.
- The applicant’s most recent U.S. passport. This passport will be cancelled and returned along with the new passport. Valid visas in the old passport will not be cancelled.
- Properly completed and printed passport application form. The form must be signed and dated, and must include a valid telephone number (mobile or landline) and/or e-mail address.
- If the applicant’s appearance has changed significantly since the old passport was issued, a clear photocopy of another current form of photo identification, such as a driver’s license, PIO Card, etc.
- If the applicant’s surname has changed due to marriage, please include an original marriage certificate.
- Passport Fee payment: Payment is by cash or credit card payable at the Embassy cashier on the day of submitting the application. Personal checks are not accepted.
Applicants must make an appointment to apply in person and bring all of the required documents listed above. Appointments are available for American citizens Monday and Thursday between 13:30 – 15:30 hours. We are closed on American and Zimbabwean holidays.
Please arrive fifteen minutes before your appointment to clear security. Mobile phones, electronic devices other restricted items are not permitted inside the Embassy.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 10-14 business days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
General information about U.S. passports is available here.