An official website of the United States government

U.S. Visa Services
Visit the United States


Non-immigrant visa applicant check for available interview appointments through our online reservation system. If you have a true life or death medical emergency and cannot find an appointment online, email ConsularHarare@state.gov request an expedite

Non-immigrant visa applicants can check for available interview appointments through our online reservation system. If you have a true life or death medical emergency and cannot find an appointment online, you can email ConsularHarare@state.gov to request an expedite. Examples of cases that are not emergencies and therefore will not be expedited include attendance at a graduation, wedding, or other commemoration; or travel to help someone through a difficult time. We encourage visa applicants to schedule visa interviews well in advance of when they anticipate they may need to travel to the United States.

Students, exchange visitors (J visa applicants), and petition-based non-immigrant visa applicants can also request an expedited interview appointment if they cannot find an open appointment online before their start date. To request, please email your name, a brief summary of the reason for your request, and a picture or PDF of your I20, DS2019, or non-immigrant petition to prove that your start date is before the next available appointment. Emails that don’t include these will not receive a response. Send emails to ConsularHarare@state.gov.

COVID-19 Requirements for Travel to the U.S.

To reduce introduction and spread of new variants of SARS-CoV-2, CDC issued an Order effective January 26, 2021, requiring all air passengers arriving to the US from a foreign country to get tested for COVID-19 infection before their flight departs and to provide proof of the negative result or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding the flight. For more information on this testing requirement, see the CDC’s Frequently Asked Questions.

Additionally, foreign national air travelers to the United States will be required to be fully vaccinated and to provide proof of vaccination status prior to boarding an airplane to fly to the United States, with only limited exceptions.

  • The CDC has determined that for the purposes of entry into the United States, vaccines accepted will include those FDA approved or authorized, as well as vaccines with an emergency use listing (EUL) from the World Health Organization (WHO). See cdc.gov for more details. Of vaccines available in Zimbabwe, only the Russia-produced “Sputnik V” does not meet this requirement.
  • Fully vaccinated air travelers will continue to be required to show documentation of a pre-departure negative viral test from a sample taken within one day of travel to the United States before boarding. That includes all travelers – U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents (LPRs), and foreign nationals.
  • All travelers – whether U.S. citizens, LPRs, or the small number of excepted unvaccinated foreign nationals – will now need to show documentation of a negative viral test from a sample taken within one day of travel to the United States.

Please visit Travel.State.Gov for more details, including information about children travelers, and answers to frequently asked questions about the new proof of vaccination policy.

We are only accepting applications from people in Zimbabwe at this time. Only people in Zimbabwe can apply for a U.S. visa in Zimbabwe, and others should reach out to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate closest to their place of habitual residence.

Please check for open appointments at the NIV Appointment System Page of the U.S. Embassy in Harare.

Payment of visa fees can be made only in USD cash and is only done at the U.S. Embassy.

Visas that are approved are typically ready in three to five business days.

Applicants are responsible for knowing what supporting documents they need, as well as how much money they’ll need to pay, what type of photo is needed, and all other required supporting documents for their visa class. Requirements for all visa classes can be reviewed at the U.S. Visas page of Travel.state.gov.

The issuance of a visa is never guaranteed, and we urge applicants to not make travel reservations until they have received a visa.

Renew Nonimmigrant Visa Without Interview

You may be eligible to renew your U.S. nonimmigrant visa by mailing your application to the U.S. Embassy in Zimbabwe without the need to book an appointment to appear for an in-person interview.

Read on to learn about eligibility requirements, how to submit your application, and how to pay for your visa application.

Some applicants who renew through this option will be selected at random to appear for an in-person interview.


  • You have had the same class of U.S. nonimmigrant visa that you are applying for this time, and that visa of the same class expired less than four years ago.
  • You have never been refused a U.S. Visa, or if you were refused, you were issued a visa since the refusal.
  • You reside in Zimbabwe.
  • Your most recent visa was not stolen or lost.
  • Children who were less than 14 years old at last visa do not qualify, even if they are renewing the same class of visa.
  • If you do not meet these requirements, please visit the U.S. Embassy to Zimbabwe’s Visa website to schedule an appointment.
  • Note that L category applicants are not eligible to renew through this option. They must appear in person.

Note that if you are applying with a family or group, only the applicants who meet the above criteria may renew through this process. The other applicants will have to book an appointment for interview.

Applicants that do not meet the above eligibility criteria will be returned to you. You will need to go to the Visa website to schedule an appointment. This includes if we receive applications from people who are not in Zimbabwe (for example, passport has no entry stamp for Zimbabwe, or the courier return envelope is addressed outside of Zimbabwe).

How to Submit Your Application:

Please send the following via courier–such as DHL, FedEx, or Cheetah–to the

U.S. Embassy in Zimbabwe

Consular Section

2 Lorraine Dr.

Bluffhill, Harare, Zimbabwe

  1. For each applicant, a barcode confirmation of the completed DS-160 nonimmigrant visa application that you submitted online.

  1. For each applicant, a 5x5cm photo that has been taken in the past 6 months. Applicants who reuse an old photo will not be processed. Photos must meet the visa application requirements described at travel.state.gov.



  1. For each applicant, a valid passport



  1. A return courier envelope with the return shipping label filled in. You can submit one envelope for a family or small group.

The sender address for your return label is the same U.S. Embassy address above that you shipped to. Fill in your return address.

We will not fill in a shipping label for you. If we receive a return envelope without the return label pre-filled, we will have no way to return your documents and you will need to go online to make a nonimmigrant visa interview appointment at the U.S. Embassy to Zimbabwe’s Visa website.

If we receive a return courier envelope with an address outside of Zimbabwe, we will not process your application and you will need to go to the Visa website to schedule an appointment.

  1. A receipt proving you have pre-paid for the return shipping by courier.
  2. Only the following classes of applicants need to submit additional documentation:
    • Cruise workers (C1 and D applicants), please submit a copy of your currect letter of employment
    • J visa applicants, please submit your signed DS-2019
    • Returning students, please submit your I-20 and proof of SEVIS payment.
    • H category applicants should submit their approved petition and job offer.

If a consular officer wants to see additional documentation for any class of visa applicant, we will schedule you for an interview at the U.S. Embassy.

We will return incomplete applications to you without processing them, including if you do not send the additional documents requested in requirement 6 above. You will need to make a visa appointment online.

How To Pay:

We cannot begin processing your visa application until the nonimmigrant visa fee has been paid for each application. Therefore, someone needs to visit the U.S. Embassy in Harare Monday or Wednesday afternoons from 1 to 3PM, or Monday and Wednesday mornings from 8 to 10:30AM to pay for your applications. Note that during the mornings there could be long queues. We are closed on U.S. and Zimbabwe public holidays.

You may have a trusted person pay on your behalf. They must have a printed copy of the bio-information from your government-issued ID, such as National ID card, passport, driver’s license, or birth certificate for each applicant. They will not receive a receipt; your copy of the receipt will be sent back to you in your prepaid envelope.

We will send you an email when we receive your application and payment has been made. We will also email you when we give your application back to the courier service for return to you. We will use the email address you submitted in your online visa application.

Our normal processing time is five working days from receiving your complete application. This does not include the time it takes the courier to ship the package to/from the Consular section.

The U.S. Embassy assumes no risk or responsibility for documents sent to us or returned to you via courier service. Once your documents have left the U.S. Embassy, please inquire with your courier service should you need to track your documents.

If you have any questions, please email ConsularHarare@State.gov.

Thank you for considering renewal of your visa using this mail-in process.


What is a Visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship or nationality.

Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel under the Visa Waiver Program.  The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.  If you cannot find what you are looking for here, please visit Travel.State.gov for additional information.

Note: U.S. citizens do not need a U.S. visa for travel to the United States, but when planning travel abroad a U.S. citizen may need a visa issued by the embassy or consulate of the country they wish to visit.

Do You Already Know What Type of Visa You Need?

For nonimmigrant visas, you can go directly to the online application for the DS-160; or for immigrant visas, directly to the USCIS site for the relevant forms.  If you are unsure, please use the Visa Wizard below to help you determine your visa type.

Our Locations
The map below shows where we provide consular services.

U.S. Embassy Harare

Colorado Sand Dunes