Study & Exchange

Students Starting School in the United States in September 2021 or Sooner


The U.S. Embassy in Zimbabwe is making every effort to safely facilitate the travel of students to the United States. Students can reserve visa interview appointments through the reservation website. If you regularly reside in Zimbabwe and have a start date within four months and need an F visa (student visas) but cannot find an appointment online, please email In your email, please include the following:

Your SEVIS ID #.

A Copy of your I20

Your Start date (written on your I20).

Emails that do no include these will not get a response to their expedite appointment request.

Emails from people who do not regularly reside in Zimbabwe will not receive a response for an interview appointment.

If you qualify for an expedited appointment, we will respond within one to two weeks with the earliest available appointment date.

For complete information about applying for student visas, please visit

The issuance of a visa is never guaranteed, and applicants are urged to not make travel reservations before receiving a visa.

There are a limited number of appointments, and applicants will be prioritized by start date and date they emailed their request. The pandemic continues to impact the number of visas we are able to process. We are making significant efforts with constrained resources to safely process visa applicants. The health and safety of our workforce and applicants remains paramount. We are implementing safeguards to keep staff and applicants safe, including mandating physical distancing in our waiting rooms, scheduling fewer interviews at a time, and following local health and safety regulations. Additionally, we remain on a limited staffing posture due to the pandemic. These necessary measures have temporarily reduced our visa processing capacity, requiring us to prioritize the most urgent and mission-critical cases. We will make every effort that safety precautions allow to interview students before their start date; however, applicants should expect very delayed response times and slow processing times.

General Information


The Student (F-1/M-1) Visa provides opportunities for qualified applicants to study at accredited post-secondary institutions in the United States. With thousands of academic programs, world-class institutions, and unmatched flexibility, the United States offers a wealth of higher-education opportunities. Visit the Department of State’s EducationUSA website to learn about educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate study, opportunities for scholars, admissions, and more.

The Exchange Visitor (J-1) Visa program provides countless opportunities for international candidates looking to travel and gain experience in the United States. The multifaceted programs enable foreign nationals to come to the United States to teach, study, conduct research, demonstrate special skills or receive on the job training for periods ranging from a few weeks to several years. To learn more about exchange visitor visa programs and more, please visit the Exchange Visitor Visa page of

Citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) participating countries who intend to study cannot travel on the VWP or on visitor (B) visas, except to undertake recreational study as part of a tourist visit. Students must travel to the United States with student (F-1 or M-1) visas. For more information on the VWP, see Visa Waiver Program.

For short periods of recreational study, a Visitor (B) visa can be used. Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate, is permitted on a visitor (B) visa. Learn more about Visitor Visas.

Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is not permitted on a visitor (B) visa, even if it is for a short duration. For example, distance learning which requires a period of time on the institution’s U.S. campus requires an F-1 visa.